The Differences Between International Air Versus Ocean Freight
When it comes to international shipping, two of the most common modes of transportation are air and ocean. Customodal’s professional team is well-versed in both and can help your business successfully navigate the shipping process.
Here is an overview of the differences between the two:
- Speed: Air freight is typically faster than ocean freight, with delivery times ranging from a few days to a week, whereas ocean freight can take anywhere from two weeks to a few months, depending on the distance and route.
- Cost: Air freight is generally more expensive than ocean freight due to the speed and handling requirements. However, the cost difference may not be as significant for smaller shipments or time-sensitive cargo.
- Capacity: Air freight has a lower capacity compared to ocean freight, and it is usually limited to smaller shipments. Ocean freight, on the other hand, has a higher capacity and can handle larger volumes of cargo.
- Security: Air freight offers better security and tracking capabilities than ocean freight, which is more susceptible to theft and piracy. However, both modes of transportation have security measures in place to ensure the safety of the cargo.
- Environmental impact: Air freight has a higher carbon footprint than ocean freight, as it requires more fuel to transport cargo. Ocean freight is considered to be more environmentally friendly, but it may not be feasible for time-sensitive or perishable goods.
- Flexibility: Air freight offers more flexibility in terms of scheduling and delivery options, with more frequent departures and arrivals. Ocean freight may have a more limited schedule, but it offers more options for shipping large, bulky, or heavy cargo.
Choosing between air and ocean freight depends on various factors such as cost, speed, capacity, and cargo type. Companies need to consider their specific needs and requirements when deciding which mode of transportation to use. Customodal can help! Contact our team today to learn what makes the most sense for your business.